Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Having a pasture with rolling hills is a double edged sword...

Our pasture is only 4 1/2 acres, but it drops down towards the bottom quite a bit.   The terrain isn't steep, but it does roll and drop off into a tree line at the bottom.  Pancho and Lefty spend a good bit of time up near the house and it is always a treat to go out in the morning to leave for work and be able to spend a few minutes with them.

Other days, they are off down in the 'lowland' as we refer to it, down in the thicket of trees near our spring which gives them water down on that end.   We can't see them when they are down there, so it always causes a bit of trepidation.   "Did they get out of the fence?"   And then I start the mental inventory...

"Did I patch that place in the fence?"  

"Did I leave the gate open?"

And then I realize, that even if any of those things might have occurred  these boys are probably not going anywhere.    I give them peppermints for God's sake!!!

So this morning was one of those mornings.   Lori and I rode together as her sister is leaving to go out of town today.   Usually if I don't see them when I leave early, she will see them when she leaves a little later.  But today they were nowhere to be seen.   Most likely snoozing down in the treeline after a hard night of protecting the pasture from coyotes and rabbits.

I kept the peppermints I had in my pocket for them to myself...   I'm sorta addicted to them too.


No comments:

Post a Comment