Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Let Sleeping Donkeys Lie...


So this morning I'm leaving to go  to work about 6am.   I cut an apple in half for the boys and as usual, if I don't see them up in the top part of the pasture, I'll just leave the apple halves on two fence posts for them later.

But wait, there is Pancho lying under their shed.  I call out to him, nothing.   I figure he's snoozing so I go to the gate and open it.   Not worrying about how much noise I make, hoping it will rouse him and Lefty.

Still nothing, I walk all the way up to him and he is clearly asleep with his eyes open, by this time Lefty (who is laying facing the opposite direction is turning around to look at me and is starting to get up.   I hold the apple half up to Pancho's nose and he stands up awake (or so I think)

He takes half the apple and puts it in his mouth.  Now I should tell you, normally, Panchy is the aggressive eater what with his big mouth.  Today, though he delicately takes the apple from my hand.

Almost as soon as he took the apple, it fell out of his mouth totally unscathed.   It's as if his mouth was still asleep.   The apple dropped and Lefty was 'Johnny on the Spot' and got the apple half and began munching on it right away.

Pancho by that time had woken up enough to take the other half of apple out of my hand and began eating it.

I got a good chuckle out of Pancho's mouth not waking up at the same time he did.

I read up on Donkey sleeping habits today.  If they lay down to sleep it means they feel at ease and comfortable in their surroundings.   If they are in the wild, they always sleep standing up in order to be able to fend off any danger straight away.   It makes me feel glad that the donkeys feel comfortable in their pasture to sleep laying down.

I'll just let them sleep next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment